A flipped classroom is not a form of classroom, but a way to arrange a lesson plan for a classroom. Two great advances for education were brought on in the 21st century. We also saw a huge growth in the number of free online courses from higher education institutions in the higher education market. The breakthrough of the year has been the innovation of the flipped classroom for K-12 schools.
The latter created a lot of debate in society, particularly in well-known publications such as the New York Times and the Washington Post.
The conventional teaching style of standing and lecturing in front of students in a classroom, which students learn just once, is now a thing of the past. This one-dimensional approach may have succeeded with a limited percentage of students. But the remainder of students had a greater degree of comprehension and retention for the reverse. That is known as “flipping the classroom.”
Digital Learning The New Trend Is The Future Of Online Education
What is a Flipped Classroom?
The flipped classroom is a pedagogical method in which direct instruction moves from a school to an individual place of learning. As a result, community space is turned into a complex, collaborative learning atmosphere in which the educator directs students in introducing lessons and developing the subject in a more interesting way.
A flipped classroom is a form of blended learning where students are exposed to home material and work at school. Face-to-face engagement is blended with autonomous learning through this hybrid learning approach – usually by technology.
In a common Flipped Classroom scenario, students could watch videos that were pre-recorded by their teacher at home, then visit the school to do their homework with some background knowledge. They can also clear their doubts in front of the teachers or with classmates.
The four pillars of the Flipped Classroom model are
F- Flexible Environment
Top 10 Trending Computer Programming Jobs To Watch Out For
Implementation of the Flipped Classroom model
In his brief essay on “The six-step guides of flipping your classroom,” Jeff Dunn (2014) outlined 6 simple measures for introducing flipped classrooms.
1 Project a Plan
Find out which lesson you want to turn in particular. Describe the main learning outcomes and a lesson plan.
2 The record study material
Download a video instead of teaching this lesson in person. A screencast helps. Make sure it includes all the core elements of the classroom you can name.
3 Share the video
Give your students the video. Keep it simple and appealing. Also, address them that content of videos will be discussed in class.
4 Change the approach
Now that your students have seen your lesson, they are eager to go further than ever before.
5 Create a Team
An efficient way of addressing the issue is to divide students into a small team. Then assign each team different job to perform. Write a poem, dance, make a picture, and so on.
6 Regroup the teams
Get the class back together to discuss the topic. Ask questions, dig further into the topic than ever before.
After completing these six steps, access the flipped classroom model, review it and repeat the process.
Top 10 Coding Websites For Kids To Learn Programming In Easy Way
- The method from Flipped Classroom covers any mode of learning (e.g. oral, visual, hands-on, problem solving, etc.).
- Instead of studying in traditional classrooms, Flipped Classroom uses a more application-oriented student approach.
- The accessibility of this model is very easy, particularly for students having difficulties in getting to the actual classroom. Such students will also have the basic knowledge about the course online.
- Flipped Classroom follows the concept of student-centred instruction to make sure that the course is primarily structured to lead to the ultimate progress of the student in achieving a successful, meaningful education.
- In fact, the general concept of “cramming” for learning and of missing post-exam knowledge prohibits students from recognizing the basic logic behind the knowledge they provide.
Top Five 1-Year Master’s Degree Programs Online In The USA
Critics and Limitation
- All families in our society have not the same socio-economic background. To poor families, a computer or laptop is a luxury. They cannot afford a computer. Students of those families find it difficult to accustomed to the flipped classroom model.
- Some students can struggle with this model because of their personal responsibility. Within a self-oriented home learning environment, students who do not pursue independent learning at the developmental stage can quickly fall behind their peers.
- At present teens waste so much time in front of computer screens. The flipped school leads to expand access to the computer.
- In fact, flipped classrooms that utilize videos to instruct are met with some problems. Students cannot know the most from listening to a lecture and viewing educational videos at home.
- For teachers also, the flipped classroom model requires more effort. Initially, additional training time is undoubtedly required. For making a high-quality video, teachers have to devote considerable time and energy beyond normal teaching duties.
Have You Heard? TOP 10 EVENT MANAGEMENT COLLEGE IN INDIA Is Your Best Bet To Grow
What Students would do at home in a Flipped Classroom model?
- Experience a tutorial live
- Review the online course
- Read the topic (via-online/offline)
- Make personal notes
- Join an online discussion with other peers
- Do some own research work
What Students would do at school in a Flipped Classroom model?
- Knowledge sharing exercise (teacher-guided or unguided)
- In-person, face-to-face with peers
- Do and review the homework
- Doubt clearing session with teachers
- Laboratory experiments
- Peer-review and appraisal
It doubles student exposure to teachers – once with recordings at home and again in the classroom, through resources for personalization and more effective learning feedback. In the flipped classroom layout, students train under teacher supervision while viewing information alone.
The Chronicles Of Free Scholarship Exams For Higher Studies In The USA
What types of online lectures would work for a flipped classroom?
All subjects, including math, science, or any other subjects are appropriate for flipped classroom layout lectures. Via online seminars, teachers can also make the content more engaging and enjoyable than in the conventional classroom environment.
To certain educators, a flipped classroom may be a new concept. To apply this model successfully, you must research it closely to learn it. Know others’ observations about the flipped classroom. This will help you to know how to use it more efficiently in your classroom. You don’t have to turn over your classroom immediately, so you might do want to learn how your classroom works. Start slowly with small steps. Enjoy the benefit!