Chemistry is one of the three main divisions of science. Chemical science is the study of chemicals through which we can understand how chemical reactions happen. The application of chemistry has led to the growth of modern life. If you want to study a chemistry degree, Online Chemistry Degree might be an option. But for lab, my suggestion is to mixed the online course with on-site chemistry courses.
Chemical engineers and scientists, who deal with general chemistry, have made a positive impact on society by the rapid acceleration of technology. If you’re a person who is curious and wants to change your community for the better, choosing a path in chemistry will be highly rewarding.
One must have their core knowledge of starting graduate level with hands-on lab experience. Having science as an elective in high school would give a good head start.
Since the pandemic has forced education providers to shut down their physical campus, the next viable option is to go for an online chemistry degree.
Table of Contents
Pros of Studying an Online Course (Simple FYI Facts…)
The classes will happen through an online interface. Students must have these three important things:
- Stable and fast Internet
- Headphone and microphone (with a webcam if possible)
- Laptop / Desktop
Though it might sound obvious, make sure the laptop and desktop are in good working condition with up-to-date hardware specs.
If you are having an old system, it would be advisable to upgrade or buy a new PC as the dependency on the device would be high when the online program starts. Also, Make sure the accessories are in working order and don’t fail!
The advantages of doing the online chemistry classes mean less time travelling outdoors. Most students would appreciate not having to travel and instead get the topics, including assignments, in the comfort of their study rooms.
A significant downside is the lack of access to a chemistry lab. However, that challenge can be overcome as some universities provide particular software where real-life research and practice can simulate.
Nevertheless, it’s best to check with the college or state university regarding the online chemistry degree. If you have the desire to pursue Chemical engineering in the USA, then know the Best Colleges for Chemical Engineering Students in the STATES
What is taught in a Bachelor’s Chemistry Degree?
In chemistry, there are multiple choices for choosing the majors as the range is broad. Online students should clearly check the prospectus and clear out any confusion regarding the course being taught and how much credit hour needs to be dedicated to it. The core courses would remain more or less the same if it’s a credible university.
The core courses are:
- General Chemistry
- General Biology
- University Physics
- Organic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Physical chemistry
- Inorganic chemistry
- Physical chemistry
- Laboratory safety and supervision
- Instrumental Analysis
And so on!
What Can You Do After Completing The Online Chemistry Degree?
There is a high demand for chemists and chemical engineers. There is no dearth of specialized fields that require scientists in today’s rapidly evolving era.
Candidates may pursue work in a government department, medical schools, research laboratories, industrial plants, gas fields, and so on.
The choices would vary on the majors elected, the understanding of the subject, and interests in that particular area. To be fair, each would bring its own share of challenges.
Here’s A List of Specific Jobs Available after Completing the Course:
- Food scientists
- Technical or science writer
- Petrochemical engineers
- Pharmaceutical or medical engineers
- Nuclear chemistry scientist
- Environmental scientist
- Biomedical Analyst
- Forensic scientist
- Industrial Planet Engineer or manager
Top 5 Platforms to Study Your Online Chemistry Degree
So, now that you may have an idea about studying chemistry degree programs, the next question is from where doing it?
Here’s a compilation of web platforms that provide online courses.
1. MIT OpenCourseware:
This is offered from the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston. There is an array of programs to choose from the undergraduate level programs.
The syllabus consists of principles of chemical science, organic, inorganic, organometallic chemistry, lab experiments, biochemistry, protein folding and human disease, thermodynamics of Biomolecular systems, crystal structure refinement, etc.
The best course of action is using the filter to search the website for the option that is suitable for you.
- Topics are covered in depth at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- There are regular assignments to check your understanding of the subject.
- Self-improvement is high because of prescribed books to follow and assignments.
- To complete the program, just pass the final exam and assessments, which carry points or credits
As many as 90 options for chemistry are there in Coursera. So if you have a weak proficiency level, you have a better chance at starting to fill your basic information, and as you progress higher, the learning increases. The programs are categorized on the difficulty levels, namely beginner, intermediate and advanced. Know the TOP 10 POPULAR FREE ONLINE COLLEGE COURSES OFFERED BY COURSERA!
– Get acquainted with the necessary general jargon as well as application-related ones.
– The introductory lessons give an overview of the course before you can start.
– Many exercises for different levels of understanding.
– The deadline is flexible, and you can extend it.
– Complete all the exams and assessments that carry credit points to earn the course completion certificate.
The e-learning platform edX is a game-changer for online learning. It brings you a series of lectures, classes, and assignments from some of the world’s top academic institutions.
The classes will help you grasp the crucial concepts and help you take your knowledge to the next level. It is a good way to learn the topic in-depth.
– All the necessary concepts are explained very clearly so that they can be helpful in building a strong fundamental and strong base
– There are many individual courses, micro-courses, and many more.
– Answer the quiz to self-assess your own knowledge and see how far you’ve covered.
– The interactive lessons are a fun way to learn.
– The study materials, videos, and exercises are available for free, and the certification is provided with an additional fee.
If you are from a different background and want to jump-start a career in chemistry and improve your skills in this subject, then this platform has got your back. You have the option to go to a foundation course and meet the relevant challenges accordingly.
The best sellers are basic principles of chemistry; memorize 50 elements from the periodic table in 30 minutes, fundamentals of plastics, polymers, and metals. Find the best online General Chemistry Condensed Course (college or high school level) at Udemy!
– There are key factors in every slide, and the focus is put on that.
– To measure your grasp of the subject, complete the assessments to see how you fare.
– Full Lifetime Access with a subscription.
5. Khan Academy:
This is a trusted platform, and it has divided all lessons into categories with varying levels of difficulty. The introductory classes provide an overview of the topic, basic formulas, and key points in each chapter.
The theory is backed by videos and demonstrations by a domain expert, which makes it easy to understand. If you have any doubt regarding Khan Academy online chemistry resources, then check- Is Khan Academy Chemistry Really Helpful to Students?
– Well-structured content and the chapters are broken down into small parts and are covered step by step.
– The programs initiate the topics from scratch, so it can be taken by learners with little prior experience.
– Plenty of assignments to practice along with the lectures.
– The slides are designed in a fun and interactive manner, which makes it engaging for all ages.
To Sum Up-
Hopefully, after pursuing an online chemistry degree, you will be able to make the best out of the course.
One thing that keeps every scientist relevant is practice. If you can keep upgrading your skills on a particular topic rather than doing a general course, you will take your know-how to the next level.
So keep practicing what you learn. Have fun and stay honest to yourself and abilities.
With enough practice, you’ll be on a path to a successful career in the vast field of Chemistry in no time!
(P.S) Also, look to procure all related chemistry course degree texts and practice papers for your preparation. In trying to crack your online chemistry degree course (whichever specification, it may be), the more papers and prep resources you have at your disposal, the better it is.
So, what are you waiting for? Check out each of these platforms’ official website for more details. The sooner you start, the better!
FAQs related to Online Chemistry Degree-
Is a chemistry degree worth it?
Chemistry degree, in my perspective, is “worth while,” however it may be difficult to find a job that pays well and is also enjoyable at the same time. While making a decision, all of these variables should be taken into account. You may have to compete with other people for a chemical employment wherever you reside.